Wednesday 29 February 2012

Fix for VM crashes during Hyper-V Live Migration

Not that I am a Hyper-V expert or anything since I've been a big fan of VMware and has been doing VMware implementation since 2005, just want to put this out there as I got a chance to play with Hyper-V a little bit now just to see exactly why VMware is more stable and better than Hyper-V in so many ways, R2 or not!:

Check this link out: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2636573

FIX: The guest operating system may crash when you perform a live migration of Hyper-V virtual machines in a Windows Server 2008 R2 environment and ofcourse as you may have guessed, the fix is.... .... .... ... apply this windows update!!!

oh well, if you are running Hyper-V R2 and have issue with this, here you go.

2 more updates to fix things that simply patched together to make it work "just as" some vSphere features.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2511962"0x000000D1" Stop error occurs in the Mpio.sys driver in Windows Server 2008 R2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2460971MPIO failover fails on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2

VMware's VMkernel has been built from ground up with virtualization in mind to provide most efficient, stable and best performance features to underlying virtual machines, but I don't think I can say the same thing for Microsoft Hyper-V. The more I look at Hyper-V, the more I am convinced about VMware solutions (not that I am not convinced before :) )

Happy Virtualizing folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment